30+ years of board-level experience as managing director, finance director and company secretary. Involved with public and private companies; the work ranging from start-ups through on-going development and organic growth to business acquisitions & disposals, mergers and flotations.
Responsibilities have included:
- day-to-day financial management & reporting
- strategic planning and implementation
- business reorganization
- premises & insurances management
- HR, payroll & pensions administration
- compliance with external and legal requirements
- representing major shareholders interests
Sectors worked in include:
- commercial broadcasting & media
- managed office facilities, exhibition & conference facilities
- computer software design and implementation
- Primary Care management & business development
- Secondary Care financial & business planning
- specialist advisor to the Care Quality Commission
- associate of Primary Care Commissioning
- textile brokerage;
- import and distribution of wine!
- facilitation & dispute resolution
- conference speaker & presenter
- qualified copywriter, copy editor and proofreader
Many of my roles have necessitated the interaction with a range of organisations as well as the general public. A pro-active and engaged approach has always been required and is one that I very much enjoy.
The opportunity to engage with local business through the Chamber and to help develop the city’s potential is something I am very much looking forward to.
Although only recent arrivals in Ripon, Deb & I had been visitors to the city on a number of occasions previously.
With family now living in Edinburgh, Nottingham and London, its accessibility and glorious location make it the ideal base for personal and business reasons.
- three degrees from various universities
- 22 year career in banking and corporate account management, moving around various offices in the midlands
- left corporate life in 2006 voluntarily to buy my own franchise business in the Lake District. Ran this successfully for six years.
- moved to Ripon in 2012 to set up my own independent business, Office Ally, which has been running ever since, dealing in Office Supplies
- I am President of a local Lions Club
- I established and jointly run the Network15 business networking club in Ripon
- interests include golf, keep fit, running, voluntary work, and enjoying the Dales
- skills include finance, sales & marketing, business strategy and customer service